Assistant or Associate Professor, Tenure-Track, Finance
Saint Mary's University
Tenure Track Position in the Finance area of the Department of Finance, Information Systems, and Management Science.
The Sobey School of Business at Saint Mary’s University invites applications for a tenure- track position in Finance at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. The anticipated starting date is July 1, 2023. The competition will remain open until the position is filled. The following criteria apply to the position:
1. The Candidate should have a PhD or ABD in Finance or related fields with research specialization in Corporate Finance. Research expertise in sustainable finance, or corporate social responsibility is considered an asset.
2. The Candidate with an ABD is expected to complete PhD prior to joining. A successful candidate must have the ability to conduct high quality research, and the demonstrated capability to teach courses in the foregoing areas of finance at the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels.
3. The Candidate is expected to demonstrate an ability to integrate technology in teaching and use blended approaches to learning.
4. The Candidate should have the potential to add value to one or more of the graduate programs offered by the Sobey School of Business, namely (i) the MBA, (ii) the Executive MBA, (iii) the Master of Finance, (iv) the Master of Technology Entrepreneurship & Innovation, (v) the Master of Business Analytics, and (vi) the PhD in Finance.
5. The Candidate should be motivated to build research and education connections with other areas (disciplines, programs, departments) of the Sobey School of Business and of Saint Mary’s University.
Saint Mary’s University is one of Canada’s top primary undergraduate universities known for its international collaborations, leadership in entrepreneurship, and research that benefits local and global communities. Our programs in Arts, Science, Graduate Studies and the Sobey School of Business are among Canada’s best and feature professors who are committed to the success of their students. Saint Mary’s provides our 6,800 students with a place that fosters possibility, excellent research opportunities, and distinguished graduate and professional programs combined with a caring community. Saint Mary’s is community-focused with strong values, operating the way the world should. We embrace diversity, are committed to sustainability, and bravely tackle the issues that matter to society.
The Sobey School of Business at Saint Mary’s University offers a balanced research/teaching environment for faculty. It has the largest business program in the Atlantic Provinces with approximately 2,600 students and offers AACSB-accredited degrees at the undergraduate, Master’s and PhD levels. The Sobey School is located in a modern facility, providing classrooms with state-of-the-art technology. Excellent database resources are available for research, with access to Compustat – Capital IQ, CRSP, and TRACE, among others on WRDS platform. Additionally, faculty at Sobey School has access to Bloomberg terminals. The Department of Finance, Information
Systems, and Management Science (FISMS) consists of 26 full-time faculty members, 15 in the Finance area. Academic calendars with program and course information are available at Academic Calendars | Saint Mary's University (courseleaf.com). For more information about the University and the Sobey School of Business, please visit our website at https://www.smu.ca/academics/sobey/welcome.html
With students from as many as 118 different countries and partnerships with institutions in dozens of other countries, Saint Mary’s University is a leader in international and intercultural education. Nestled in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Canada’s east coast, Saint Mary’s University is marked by iconic buildings, green spaces and fresh ocean air. Our campus is based in Mi’kma’ki, the ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi’kmaq, and is global in reach and influence. The Saint Mary’s University community is committed to a prosperous future for the world—a world without limits.
At Saint Mary’s University equity and diversity are integral to excellence and enrich our community. As an institution committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and respect, we welcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity and others who might contribute to the growth and enrichment of our community.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. If you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Apply online for this opportunity by visiting https://www.smu.ca/about/faculty-employment- opportunities.html and submitting all application material electronically through CareerBeacon. Only electronic applications submitted through CareerBeacon can be accepted. Applications for this position should include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, transcripts of academic work, recent working papers or publications, teaching evaluations (if available), and the name and contact information of three referees. Note that due to size constraints, you may need to provide a link to your academic papers rather than the actual files.
Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.