Assistant Professor, Department of Design
The Department of Design, School of Arts, Media, Performance & Design at York University invites highly qualified candidates to apply for a three-year Contractually Limited Appointment (CLA) in User Experience Design and Interaction Design at the rank of Sessional Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream to commence August 15, 2023.
The Department of Design seeks a candidate who can teach a range of undergraduate and graduate courses, with a particular interest in applications from individuals with expertise in areas such as Visual Interaction Design, Designing for Human Interactions, Prototyping & User-Centred Strategies, Designing for Existing and Future Systems, and Generative Design.
The successful candidate will provide creative educational leadership in teaching and learning through curricular and pedagogical innovation and demonstrate knowledge of ethical conduct for research/research-creation involving human participants. The successful candidate will be qualified for prompt appointment to the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
Aligned with York University’s DEDI Strategy, ideal candidates will share how they apply principles of decolonization, equity, diversity, and inclusion in their pedagogy. CLAs provide distinct expertise and ideas to the School through contributions to various committees in the Department and School.
• Master's Degree in Interactive Design, User Experience Design, Systems Design, Graphic Design, Visual Communication Design, or related field (required)
• Demonstrated record of professional experience in design or a related industry (required)
• Proven track record of excellence in teaching (preferred)
• Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• All York University positions are subject to budgetary approval.
• All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and Indigenous peoples in Canada will be given priority.
• York University has a policy on Accommodation in Employment for Persons with Disabilities and is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact Anya Morea (email@example.com).
• York University is an Affirmative Action (AA) employer and strongly values diversity, including gender and sexual diversity, in its community. Details of our AA Program, which applies to women, members of racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and those who self-identify as 2SLGBTQ+, can be found at www.yorku.ca/acadjobs or by calling 416-736-5713.
• Due date for completed applications: June 19, 2023
• Required components: 1) A letter of application, 2) an up-to-date curriculum vitae, 3) a teaching dossier including a statement of teaching philosophy and interests, sample syllabi (if available), and a brief reflection on how commitments to equity, diversity, and decolonization inform classroom teaching, 4) a portfolio URL or PDF, 5) three letters of reference.
• Submit materials: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YUDesignCLA
York University is a leading international teaching and research university and a driving force for positive change. Empowered by a welcoming and diverse community with a uniquely global perspective, we are preparing our students for long-term careers and personal success. Together, we can make things right for our communities, our planet, and our future.