The Desautels Faculty of Management of McGill University invites applications for the position of: Dean
The Desautels Faculty ofThe Desautels Faculty of Management at McGill University is recruiting its next Dean.at McGill University is recruiting its next Dean. At the heart of one of the world’s finest research universities in the cosmopolitan city of Montreal, Desautels is one of the top international business schools. It attracts the finest students and the most prominent professors from around the globe. The past fifteen years have been characterized by ambition and impact, with significant investment in faculty, facilities and programs. The next Dean has a remarkable opportunity to build upon this platform in line with our vision to transform the way organizations function for economic and social value creation.
Consistent with the University’s mission and principles, Desautels’ is committed to creating an integrated, globally-oriented, ethical and lifelong approach to educating current and future leaders. It fosters rigorous, insightful, research and influential thought leadership, and is dedicated to economic and social value creation. The Dean reports directly to the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic) and leads Desautels’ vibrant community of 114 faculty across seven areas, and eight research centres including the Marcel Desautels Institute for Integrated Management and the McGill Dobson Centre for Entrepreneurship. We offer eleven world-renowned academic and four completely unique and innovative executive programs, operating under an integrated management philosophy and curriculum design.
The next Dean will have the intellectual credibility, energy and ambition to advance Desautels in line with the 2025 strategic plan. Centred around the three core priorities of research excellence, student focus, and community impact, the Dean will help unlock existing potential and create new opportunities to advance the University’s mission of excellence into its third century.
Although the search Committee recognizes that no one individual possesses the sought-after qualifications in equal measure, it has developed a set of criteria to articulate the desired background, experience and personal qualities of the ideal candidate.
Experience, Skills and Credentials:
• Possess the academic record to hold the rank of Full Professor.
• Professional experience will be considered, but a strong understanding of, and experience within, a research-intensive university is preferred.
• Appreciate the quality and range of research conducted across the Faculty and be able to communicate the benefits of this research to students and external audiences.
• Bring experience collaborating with different management and business disciplines, in interdisciplinary or cross-disciplinary settings.
• Be able to engage with the business community to promote the quality of the Faculty, its research and its students, encourage participation in its programs and gain financial and other support.
• Have extensive, proven leadership experience in complex organizations with diverse stakeholders.
• Be able to engage collaboratively with all members of the Desautels community to develop and promote a shared vision that will motivate stakeholders and potential partners.
• Demonstrate an inter-cultural understanding and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI), anti-racism, and decolonization in all aspects of their work. Possess demonstrable experience in these areas.
• Have shown excellent judgement in developing high-performing and accountable teams, and ensuring that decisions are taken in line with the values of the Faculty and in the best interests of the University.
• Support the advancement of McGill’s academic mission by promoting and participating in research, teaching, and service activities.
• Recognize the potential for a world-class business school to adapt to a post-COVID-19 environment through identifying and supporting innovative pedagogy, programs, research areas and partnerships.
• The ability and willingness to develop the skills to work in both English and French would be a significant asset.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The five-year renewable appointment will be effective Fall 2021, or as mutually agreed.
Commitment to Equity and Diversity
McGill University is committed to equity and diversity within its community and values academic rigour and excellence. We welcome and encourage applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to engage productively with diverse communities.
Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, this email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone at 514-398-2477. For more information, please see: https://www.mcgill.ca/apo/academic-life-cycle/tenure-track-academic-staff-professors-and-librarians/recruitment
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
McGill is partnering with the executive search firm Perrett Laver on this search process. Applications should include in PDF format a statement of research interests and teaching philosophy (as one document), a curriculum vitae and the names and contact information of three referees. Further information, including details of how to apply, can be downloaded at http://www.perrettlaver.com/candidates quoting reference 4874. For informal inquiries, please contact Benjamin.Crase@perrettlaver.com. Interested candidates are asked to submit applications by 12 p.m. (noon) Eastern Time on Tuesday, January 26, 2021.
Perrett Laver is a Data Controller and a Data Processor, as defined under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Any information obtained by our trading divisions is held and processed in accordance with the relevant data protection legislation. The data you provide us with is securely stored on our computerized database and transferred to our clients for the purposes of presenting you as a candidate and/or considering your suitability for a role you have registered interest in.
Our legal basis for much of our data processing activity is ‘Legitimate Interests’. You have the right to object to us processing your data in this way. For more information about this, your rights, and our approach to Data Protection and Privacy, please visit our website http://www.perrettlaver.com/information/privacy-policy/.