Assistant/Associate Professor Position, Finance and Business Economics Area
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and, within the lands protected by the Dish With One Spoon wampum agreement.
The DeGroote School of Business at McMaster University invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor in the Finance and Business Economics Area. The position will begin on July 1, 2024. Appointment rank (Assistant or Associate) will depend on qualifications and research records. Exceptional candidates at the rank of Associate Professor with tenure may also be considered. Candidates are sought in all areas of Finance. However, preference will be given to candidates who specialize in Sustainable Finance, Entrepreneurial Finance, Healthcare Finance, or Digital Innovation in Finance.
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to research and scholarship through publishing in high-quality journals in financial economics, participating in prominent national and international academic conferences, actively pursuing research grants, and supervising research in their areas of expertise. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to the School's undergraduate and graduate academic programs at both its Hamilton and Burlington locations, and support the School’s initiatives within the business, academic and other external communities.
The minimum requirements for the position include (i) a Ph.D. in Finance or Financial Economics from an accredited institution (by the time the appointment starts); (ii) evidence of a strong scholarly record in peer-reviewed journals or the potential to establish a strong scholarly record; and (iii) evidence of, or strong potential for, teaching excellence.
The Finance and Business Economics Area, the largest of eight Areas comprising the DeGroote School of Business, is committed to excellence in both research and teaching. The School offers a number of programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The Finance and Business Economics Area participates in these programs in several ways, and mounts MBA specializations in Finance and Strategic Business Valuation, a Master of Finance program, and a Ph.D. field in Finance. Further information about the School can be found at http://www.degroote.mcmaster.ca/.
Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration, and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity. The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and especially welcomes applications from First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, members of racialized communities (“visible minorities”), persons with disabilities, women, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
We invite all applicants to complete a brief Diversity Survey, which takes approximately two minutes to complete. All questions are voluntary, with an option to decline to answer. All information collected is confidential and will be used to support efforts to broaden the diversity of the applicant pool and to promote a fair, equitable and inclusive talent acquisition process. Inquiries about the Diversity Survey may be directed to email@example.com.
Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact the Office of the Dean of Business at firstname.lastname@example.org to communicate accommodation needs.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the McMaster Academic Careers website: https://hr.mcmaster.ca/careers/, (Faculty Postings, Job #58151). Please ensure that your application is submitted to the correct portal (as identified by the job #). The application should be addressed to:
Dr. Ron Balvers, Chair, Finance and Business Economics Area, DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada LMS 4M4.
Please submit the following materials:
• A letter of application together with a curriculum vitae. The letter must include a statement regarding Canadian citizenship/permanent resident status (see below) and describe the impact that career interruptions have had on research productivity, if applicable.
• Research statement including a selection of research work (published articles or working papers).
• Statement of teaching interests and philosophy (including evidence of teaching effectiveness).
• A brief statement describing any contributions made or planned in relation to advancing equity, diversity and inclusion or inclusive excellence in teaching, research, or service within higher education, community-based or other professional settings. (2-page maximum)
• Three to five letters of recommendation, to be submitted directly by your referees to the e-mail address email@example.com, with comments from referees on your:
- demonstrated scholarly excellence and research potential in the field of finance,
- demonstrated ability and/or potential to successfully teach undergraduate students and supervise graduate students,
- the candidate’s ability to work in a collaborative and interdisciplinary environment, and
- contributions to university and/or community service.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. All applicants will receive an on-line confirmation of receipt of their application; however, only short-listed applicants will be contacted for interviews.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
To comply with the Government of Canada’s reporting requirements, the University is obliged to gather information about applicants’ status as either Permanent Residents of Canada or Canadian citizens. Applicants need not identify their country of origin or current citizenship; however, all applications must include one of the following statements:
• Yes, I am a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
• No, I am not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.