Indigenous Scholarship, various disciplines, Open Rank, Contract Academic Staff or Tenure Track
McGill University is seeking to strengthen its relationships with Indigenous communities and expand its leadership, research and teaching capacity in areas relevant to Indigenous studies and Indigenous education through the recruitment of new Indigenous faculty members. These opportunities are aligned with McGill University’s overall commitment to increase the number of Indigenous professors over the next decade, one component of the University’s support of Indigenous success and reconciliation, summarized in its 52 Calls to Action. These new academic positions also align with the ongoing commitments of the university to expand access to education for Indigenous students, decolonize curricula, and include Indigenous ways of knowing and respect for Indigenous identities in research, teaching, and service to the wider community. In line with these commitments, preference will be given to candidates who identify as First Nations, Inuit, Métis, Native American, Alaskan Native or Native Hawaiian.
Recognizing the importance of critical mass to the success of new faculty members, McGill seeks to hire for several positions in the following areas:
• the Department of Integrated Studies in Education (Faculty of Education)
• the Department of Educational and Counselling Psychology (Faculty of Education)
• the Schulich School of Music
• the School of Continuing Studies (SCS)
Selected candidates will be offered an appropriate academic position as a member of the Contract Academic Staff group. A tenure track position may be offered to suitable candidates.
Faculty members hired in these roles will contribute to the academic mission in areas of Indigenous Studies and Indigenous education, broadly defined and including:
• Management and/or entrepreneurship
• Music creation or performance
• Social and cultural perspectives on Indigenous musics
• Public administration and governance
• Decolonizing teaching, and community collaboration
• Relational accountability in research
• Indigenous pedagogies and curricular design
• Indigenous education policy, planning and self-governance
• Social and cultural approaches to Indigenous language
• Indigenous-led research and decolonizing methodologies
Successful candidates who take up research-intensive positions will be expected to develop an independent research program and to contribute to undergraduate and graduate teaching for our diverse student body.
McGill faculty members are expected to contribute to service activities within their units, the University, and the wider scholarly community. A demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion is also expected.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
As part of this cluster hiring initiative, McGill welcomes applications from candidates with expertise relevant to Indigenous studies and Indigenous education gained outside traditional academic career paths. This could include education-relevant roles as leaders or advocates in Indigenous communities, or in private enterprise, governmental or non-governmental organizations. Full-time or part-time academic positions may be available for selected candidates with such backgrounds.
Candidates who wish to be considered for a tenure track position must have a PhD, or equivalent advanced training or experience, in a relevant field.
McGill University is an English-language university where most teaching and research activities are conducted in the English language, thereby requiring English communication both verbally and in writing.
Salary: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience
Job Status: Full-time or Part-time
Interested applicants should submit their application electronically at the following website:
The following supporting documents are required:
• Cover letter indicating the departments that particularly align with your interests and curriculum vitae
• A teaching philosophy statement
• A research philosophy statement, if applicable (candidates interested primarily in teaching positions do not need to submit this document)
• Names and contact information of three referees
The deadline to apply to these positions is Feb 1, 2023. Inquiries concerning this position can be made to Tynan Jarrett (email@example.com)