DIRECTOR, LEARNER SUPPORT
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
DIRECTOR, LEARNER SUPPORT - Competition Number 20-24
As Canada’s only polytechnic university, we offer you the opportunity to make a positive impact on your community through a meaningful career working in a collaborative and inclusive culture. Join us and put your thoughts into action.
About Kwantlen Polytechnic University
At Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) we combine academic excellence with practical, hands-on and experiential learning opportunities that prepare our graduates for successful and rewarding careers, while also providing them with the critical understanding necessary for good citizenship.
We ensure that our graduates are prepared for a lifetime of learning and re-learning so they can adapt to the fast pace of change in the workplace and in society at large.
Located in the Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, KPU offers a diverse range of credentials – including certificates, citations, diplomas and bachelor’s degrees – designed to successfully meet the evolving needs of regional and global employment markets. We offer work-integrated and service learning, connections to business and industry, and a supportive learning environment.
Our post-baccalaureate and graduate diplomas further enhance opportunities for working professionals to augment their knowledge and skills.
With programs in Arts, Business, Science and Horticulture, Health, Design, Trades and Technology, English language studies, adult upgrading and qualifying studies, KPU has proudly served the South Fraser Region of the Lower Mainland since 1981.
KPU has five campuses: three in Surrey, and one each in Richmond and Langley, with nearly 1,500 employees and over 20,000 students.
Are you passionate about student success? Do you have a successful track record in developing and implementing student transition, learning and accommodation services? Do you have a leadership style that is creative, collaborative, productive, outcomes-oriented, and effective in team settings? If so, Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) has an exciting opportunity for a Director, Learner Support.
The Director, Learner Support is a member of the Student Affairs Division’s senior management team. The Director is responsible for providing direction and leadership to KPU’s Learning Centres and Accessibility Services departments. The Director leads the development and evaluation of programming, policies and services that support academic development and program completion. The Director works to remove barriers for students with disabilities and establish a social model of disability across the University.
This role reports to the Senior Director, Student Affairs. Reporting to the Director, Learner Support are the Manager, Accessibility Services, Learning Strategists, Learning Specialists, and Learning Centre Advisors and Coordinators.
Want to know more?
Please visit our website to view the full position profile.
Who are we looking for?
• Demonstrated understanding of the social model of disability and experience with promoting the social model within a broader organization/system.
• Ability to identify organizational risks to human rights violations, student safety and/or institutional reputation.
• Excellent organizational, financial management and problem solving abilities.
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels within the institution and to work as part of a management team.
• Experience developing, planning and administering complex projects related to learner support and access.
• Demonstrated leadership style that is creative, collaborative, productive, outcomes-oriented, and effective in team settings.
• Experience in solving highly complex problems.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Demonstrated experience in gathering data, conducting program assessments, compiling information, and preparing and presenting reports.
• Proven ability to exercise tact, diplomacy and conflict resolution skills.
• Proven ability to work under minimal supervision.
• Proven track record of implementing change resulting in improvements to service quality, staff productivity and systems efficiency.
• Intercampus travel is required; possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is preferred.
What education & experience should you have?
• Master’s Degree in a related field.
• 10 years related experience with a minimum 5 years of progressive management experience within an educational environment, post-secondary environment preferred.
• Teaching experience is considered an asset.
• Demonstrated experience supporting learners with issues related to disability and accommodation in an educational setting, post-secondary environment preferred.
• Experience interpreting medical/psychological documentation an asset.
• Experience developing and leading peer tutor programs preferred.
• Experience providing leadership and managing staff in a unionized environment.
KPU is a multi-campus institution; frequent travel between campuses will be required. The Director, Learner Support will be based out of the main Surrey campus.
Ready to Apply?
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line in the following format:
Last Name – First Name, Competition Number xx-xx, Position Title.
For example, “Doe-John, Competition Number 20-24, Director Learner Support”.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. If you require an accommodation through our hiring process, please include your request in the application email.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.
For inquiries or recommendations related to this position, please contact:
Human Resources Business Partner