Limited-Term Appointments in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics
The University of Western Ontario invites applications for two Limited-Term faculty appointments at the rank of Assistant Professor (non-Tenure track). The start date is anticipated to be no later than September 1, 2020. The appointment will be for two years. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The successful candidates will be jointly appointed as a faculty member in the Department of Mathematics and the Department of Applied Mathematics, Faculty of Science.
The positions were created to support the teaching mission of the Faculty of Science. Duties are divided between Teaching (80%) and Service (20%) activities. Teaching duties will include up to 4.0 full course equivalents at the undergraduate level. Teaching duties may also include the development and delivery of online curriculum. Service duties will include support for the administrative coordination of courses and departmental committee duties as assigned.
● A PhD in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics or related field
● Previous experience teaching mathematics at the university level, and evidence of effective teaching practice
● A degree in Education
● Training in pedagogy or leadership related to teacher/educational development
● Experience teaching large (>250 enrolment) undergraduate courses
● Experience in providing effective high-impact learning experiences for undergraduate students, especially in an online environment
● Demonstrated interest and/or experience in the scholarship of teaching and learning
● Experience in administering large undergraduate courses
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Western University offers a full range of academic and professional programs for over 32,000 under- graduate and graduate students. General information about Western can be found at www.uwo.ca. The Department of Mathematics (www.math.uwo.ca ) and the Department of Applied Mathematics (https://www.uwo.ca/apmaths/ ) deliver undergraduate programs in these areas, and have a substantial service- teaching commitment to the Faculties of Science, Social Science, and Engineering.
Candidates should submit:
(1) the Application for Full-time Faculty Position Form available at https://www.uwo.ca/facultyrelations/pdf/full-time-application-form.pdf
(2) a letter of interest;
(3) an up-to-date curriculum vitae;
(4) a statement outlining their teaching philosophy, and other materials demonstrating excellent teaching practice;
(5) the names and complete contact information for three references. We will only solicit references from the most competitive candidates. Please do not have referees forward letters to the selection committee.
Applications will be accepted online at https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/list/16003
Additional information can be obtained by contacting:
Dr. Graham Denham, Professor & Chair
Department of Mathematics
1151 Richmond St
London, ON, N6A 5B7 Canada
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Review of applications will begin on August 6 2020. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Positions are subject to budget approval. Applicants should have fluent written and oral communication skills in English. The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org