Research Associate, Masonry Centre at the Civil and Environmental Engineering
University of Alberta
University of Alberta
ENG Civil Engineering
Competition No. - A104142255
Closing Date - Apr 22, 2020
The Research Associate position is for the Masonry Centre at the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department.The Masonry Centre is funded via the Masonry Contractors Association of Alberta (MCAA) Endowment and several Collaborative Research and Development Grant.
The mandate for the Research Associate is to drive innovation in masonry design, challenge existing codes of practice, and develop more efficient construction methods. The Research Associate position supports the existing strengths at the Centre, which has specialists on numerical modelling, experimental testing, and analysis and will work closely with 3 Professors , more than 15 Graduate students and 2 Administrative staff. The Research Associate is expected to further the mandate of the centre, and will in turn benefit from a very supportive and productive scientific environment.
• Conducting micro-scale, finite-element modeling of masonry structures using specialized software packages such as Diana, Abaqus, or Ansys
• Planning and designing experimental tests to investigate the shear strength of masonry structures, including fabrication of fixtures and test specimens, data collection, and interpretation of results
• Development of analysis models for shear strength based on strut and tie techniques
• Participating in the mentoring and supervision of graduate students
• Developing and offering workshops and seminars on masonry structures
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• PhD is required
• Expertise in nonlinear modeling of cementitious materials using the finite-element method
• Experience with large-scale testing of concrete and masonry wall structures
• Experience in a managerial or supervisory role at a structural laboratory
• Experience in the development of building code equations for strength of components
• Experience in Supervision of graduate and undergraduate studies
• Membership in professional associations related to the building industry
In accordance with the Trust/Research Academic Agreement, this position has an initial appointment of 1 year, with the possibility of extension, and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be found at Faculty & Staff Benefits and a salary range of $58,210.00 to $72,770 per annum. Salary will be commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate.
Along with your resume, please submit a cover letter that outlines why you believe you are the right person for this position. In your cover letter, please provide a detailed answer to the following question:
“How will you contribute to a culture of trust, effectiveness, and execution in the Faculty of Engineering?”
Applications received without a cover letter will not be considered. Applications received with a cover letter that does not specifically address these important items will also not be considered.
Interested applicants may apply to: https://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/A104142255/
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.